Makes approximately 8 ½-cup servings
6 qt Water
1 Cup Milk
2 Celery roots, about 1 1/2 pounds each
1 Onion, peeled and chopped
3 Tbsp European style unsalted butter
Finely ground sea salt to taste
- Bring water, milk and lemon to a boil.
- Peel the tough outer skin from the celery roots and cut the white flesh into 1-inch cubes while the liquids are coming to a boil.
- Add celery root and onion to liquids; simmer for 1 hour.
- Strain celery root and onion but reserve liquid.
- Puree vegetables in a food processor while adding butter and ½ cup reserved liquid.
- Cool puree until needed.
Chef Bill often adds fresh herbs and mashed potatoes to this puree for a flavor variation. On our current menu he uses it as a base for Wild Troll Caught King Salmon with seasonal vegetables, with white wine & tarragon veloute.