Makes 8, 1 cup Servings
- 1 bulb fennel, cleaned and trimmed
- 1 leek, cleaned well
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 medium-size carrots, peeled
- 3 celery sticks
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup European style unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup lobster or fish stock
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup Yukon gold potatoes, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 lb clams, drained, or combination of other seafood
- Cut fennel, leek, onion, carrots, and celery into ½-inch pieces.
- Place olive oil in a large pot; heat over medium heat until oil releases aroma. Stir in vegetables; reduce heat to low and cook until vegetables become slightly translucent.
- Add butter and stir until melted. Add flour slowly and stir to combine until there are no lumps.
- Add wine, stock, and milk slowly, stirring continuously to avoid forming lumps.
- Add potatoes and bring to simmer.
- Add clams or other seafood when potatoes are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
At Coho Restaurant, we use a similar base to make a variety of seafood chowders with halibut, salmon, scallops, and clams.